[Backgroundrb-devel] Problem with blocking workers

Christian Schlaefcke cschlaefcke at wms-network.de
Tue Apr 3 15:22:27 EDT 2007

Marc Evans schrieb:
> Based on my experiences, you will have a difficult time doing what you
> want to do, at least if trying to use backgroundrb. If I were
> attacking this problem, I probably would use a far less elegant
> approach, that being to fork a new child in which the query is run.
> Hopefully, others on this list have a better suggestion than I do...
Could you provide an example for your suggestion? I played around with
ruby threads before I switched to backgroundrb. I set up a test where
have two threads that should download a large file from my server. This
should pretty much simulate what I want to do at work. It seems to me
that one thread works after the other and not concurrently. I also
encountered the situation where none of the thread started (race

I would be glad for any hint on this. Hopefully it is possible to solve
with Backgroundrb...