[Backgroundrb-devel] example code for file upload

cremes.devlist at mac.com cremes.devlist at mac.com
Sun Apr 1 10:43:59 EDT 2007

On Mar 30, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Walter McGinnis wrote:

> My real problem is uploads over crap network connections turning into
> CPU eating zombie mongrels.  Man, I love it when geek speak sounds
> like a horror movie premise, but in this case it's a real pain.  I
> suspect that the solution for that is going to be mongrel based
> though.  I'll RTFM over in mongrel doc land, but any hints are
> appreciated.

Walter,

for very large files (200+ MB) I recommend using Apache and the
mod_put extension [1]. I added an extension to mod_put so it would
support resumable PUT operations which is very handy for "crap
network connections." :-)

I also created a patch for Mongrel to allow it to better handle large
file uploads, but it hasn't been accepted by Zed. I can provide a
copy to you if you are interested.

cr

[1] http://www.gknw.at/development/apache/httpd-2.0/unix/modules/
mod_put-2.0.8.tar.gz