[Backgroundrb-devel] BackgrounDRb Call for help

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:24:48 EDT 2006

Hey there bdrb'ers!

	I have been so very busy with http://engineyard.com that I have not
had time to complete the new release of backgroundrb. But I have done
substantial work towards it. It is basically an entirely new beast
with a complete rethinking of how it works. I have put  up a zip file
of the new code base in the hopes that some folks will be able to
start playing with it and work with me to finish it up so people can
use it. So please if you feel so inclined, download this new version
and have a look over the code.

http://brainspl.at/backgroundrb.zip

	Ok here is the run down on new features and what still needs to be
done to finish this up to be used.

• I have ditched the old start/stop scripts and would like to use the
daemons gem to manage the daemoon as it is more robust then a hand
rolled solution. So new start/stop and service scripts will need to
be written using the daemons gem

• The new plugin will depend on the slave gem so make sure to install
the latest gem install slave

• The new version will be multi process instead of single process.
The middleman is still threaded but in a different way. It now has a
ThreadPool class that you can set the size limit on. This allows for
you to control how many processes get spawned at once. This makes
bdrb infinitely more scalable.

• The MiddleMan class tried to do way too much in the current
version. This violates a bunch of OOP rules and I decided to simplify
it. So nwo the middleman just manages a thread pool of worker slaves
and thats pretty much all it does. Look in the middleman_slave.rb
file for the new middleman class.

• People liked using timed workers. Unfortunately the current impl of
timing is sorely lacking. It works ok for very simple stuff but
people have issues with it running more then one instance of the
timed worker at once. This is no good. So I have created a new
scheduler class. This is solely dedicated to scheduling jobs. There
is a Trigger class that allows for simple repeat every style workers.
But there is also a new CronTrigger class that can fire off events
using cron copmpatable syntax! This means you can use cron jobs like
'1 * * * * * *' or even '28/5,59 1-4,6,20 */1 * 5,0/1 * *' . this
allows for a very flexible scheduler. I borrowed some of this code
from the moment gem and integrated it with bdrb. Have a look at the
scheduler.rb file and the scheduler test as well.

• All of the new code is in the bdrb directory in the plugin. If you
want to run the new middleman_slave and see it manage multiple
processes at once you can run ruby middleman_slave.rb in one terminal
and then in irb here are a few commands to play with it:

require 'drb'
DRb.start_service('druby://localhost:0')
m=DRbObject.new(nil, "druby://localhost:2000")
40.times{m.new_worker :class => :worker}
m.jobs.keys
m.jobs.keys.each {|o| p m.worker(o).progress}
m.jobs.keys.each {|o| m[o].shutdown if m.worker(o).done}

Now that we use the slave gem to manage external workers there is a
slight interface change to the middleman. It works the same exact way
to start workers with new_worker. But when you want to get a handle
on your worker to call methods you need to use MiddleMan.worker
(key).method . get_worker or MiddleMan[key] get you a handle on the
slave process so you can call shutdown on it and get its PID and all
that. But worker(key) gets you the handle on your actual worker  object.

	So thats my notes for you for right now. Please feel free to write
in with any questions. The main thing that would help get it back of
the ground would be the daemons start stop scripts. And I need to
make a new config file format and parser as well as a nice interface
where you define timers.

	**IMPORTANT NOTE**

	Now that we are using multi process workers it is very important
that you do not require all of rails by default. Of course some
workers will need this but it would be best to spawn one of these up
and re use it somehow.

	So we need to keep the drb server clean slim as just a manager. So
each worker class will need to require what it needs for db
connection and other stuff. This needs some more thought given to it.
But the current single threaded bdrb is a mess, it opens way too many
db handles and threading is not enough to handle a ton of workers.
This new way of doing things will require a bit more work when
building your worker classes, but the payoff will be huge and it will
allow you to scale to real high traffic sites now. So anyone with
ideas about this please pipe up. I think I will make a script you can
require in your workers that will setup Active record for you. But I
think that we should not be requiring all of rails it is so inefficient.

	I know this last point may make it harder for some folks to make
workers easily because all of rails won't be available. But this was
necessary in order to make bdrb truly scalable. Running an entire
rails process just to run a worker class is a huge waste. So this
will need to be worked out as we start to use the new plugin.

	I want to thank everyone for their patience, I have been so busy I
haven't had time to finish this up. Any help from you guys would be
very appreciated.

Thoughts?

-Ezra