[Backgroundrb-devel] Clearing ActiveRecord Sessions

Michael D'Auria michael.dauria at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 21:20:20 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I am interested in using BackgrounDRb to clear out ActiveRecord based
sessions.  I have this working, just with a small hitch, here is the code:

class ClearSessionsWorker < BackgrounDRb::Rails

  repeat_every 7.minutes
  first_run Time.now

  def do_work(args)
    Session.destroy_all(["updated_at < ?", 20.minute.ago ])

It's not very complicated and does remove sessions, it's just that once the
job is done, the thread hangs out leaving a connection to my database open.
After some time, MySQL complains about having too many open connections.  I
was just curious what i am missing.  I have tried using "kill", but that
only seems to run the job once and not every 7 minutes like i so nicely ask
:).  I have also tried "terminate", but that did not seem to do anything for
me.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

.: Michael :.