[Backgroundrb-devel] backgroundrb scalability

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 21:47:58 EDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 5:44 AM, sherwin velasco wrote:

> i'm in a team that is currently developing a web 2.0 application
> that really needs to scale in the very near future.
> we are using backgroundrb for some of the server tasks.
> currently, we have two servers (in RubyOnRails) that connects to a
> single backgroundrb daemon.
> is there a way that we can run multiple backgroundrb and have the
> servers do a round robin on them to retrieve a worker using a key
> that was saved in the session?

Hey Sherwin-

	This could be coded up to work for you. You would basically write a
class that wraps multiple middleman clients and tries to get the
workers by checking for MiddleMan.jobs.keys.include? session
[:jobkey] . So you could have MiddleMan1, MiddleMan2..MiddleManN .
And just make a wrapper that iterates over each midleman checking to
see if it contains the job you are looking for and using the right

	This would not be too hard to come up with and I might add something
to support this soon. I do have a completele new version of the whole
plugin cooking. I hope to get it released this weekend but we shall
see. The new version will support spawning multiple processes and
managing those through the same interface.