[Backgroundrb-devel] Unable to start with Capistrano...

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 11:35:09 EDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:40 PM, Eden Li wrote:

> I'm having the same issue.
>
> My recipe in config/deploy.rb looks like this:
>
> desc "Start backgroundrb"
> task :backgroundrb_start, :roles => :app do
>   run "cd #{current_path} && sudo rake backgroundrb:start
> RAILS_ENV=production"
> end
>
> (dev machine)
> $ cap backgroundrb_start
> [ ... command finishes without error ...]
>
> (server)
> $ ps auxww | grep backgroundrb
> [... nothing ...]
>
> When I run
>
> $ cd /path/to/current && sudo rake backgroundrb:start
> RAILS_ENV=production
>
> directly on my server, backgroundrb starts up perfectly, but whenever
> run this task remotely, backgroundrb never comes up.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

	It seems that for some reason backgroundrb doesn't like being
started via the rake command to start. So you need to use the actual
start script. Here are my tasks for stopping, starting and restarting.

   desc <<-DESC
   Stop the backgroundrb server
   DESC
   task :stop_backgroundrb , :roles => :drb do
     run "#{current_path}/script/backgroundrb/stop"
   end

   desc <<-DESC
   Start the backgroundrb server
   DESC
   task :start_backgroundrb , :roles => :drb do
     run "#{current_path}/script/backgroundrb/start -d"
   end

   desc <<-DESC
   Start the backgroundrb server
   DESC
   task :restart_backgroundrb , :roles => :app do
     stop_backgroundrb
     start_backgroundrb
   end

Cheers-