[Backgroundrb-devel] [ANN] BackgrounDRb 0.2.0 Release! Complete rewrite.

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Mon Oct 30 17:34:05 EST 2006

On 30-Oct-06, at 3:01 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Bob Hutchison wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On 29-Oct-06, at 8:40 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>>> 	I am really happy to announce the release of BackgrounDRb 0.2.0 .
>> This is good news.
>> Say you were running a few background processes and someone or
>> something killed your main process. Is there any way of knowing
>> which processes died because of heart failure when the server is
>> restarted?
>> Cheers,
>> Bob
> \
> Hey bob-
> 	Thats a good question. The current answer is no, if the middleman
> server gets killed, all workers will get killed as well. But
> looking to the future we will try to have a way to have dual
> middlemen so they can watch each other and bring the other one up
> if it dies. And maybe a way to serialize the current jobs to disk
> like journalling so if things crash they could be restored easily.
> Please do give me your thoughts on this. We are going to be working
> on this thing to make it awesome by 0.3.0 so if there are things
> you want to see then speak up.

I'm using slave 0.2.0 in my application right now. I'm using it to
run some potentially very long running processes. In my case, it
doesn't really matter if they fail, but if they do I'd like know
about it so I can tell the user and possibly re-start them. At the
moment if that scenario occurs then I can only tell by a time out. If
I wasn't so lazy I could do something smarter, like mark the fact
that the process is running somewhere in the DB (which might really
be the filesystem), maybe with a pid. When I check on progress I can
see if slave/backgroundrb has any knowledge of that process, if it
doesn't then I can assume that the server failed and as re-started.
If slave/backgroundrb knows of the process but the process no longer
exists then I can assume that it failed in an unpleasant way.

Anyway, that's the kind of thing I had in mind.

Bob Hutchison                  -- blogs at <http://www.recursive.ca/