[Backgroundrb-devel] new BackgroundRB

skaar skaar at waste.org
Mon Oct 30 17:28:32 EST 2006

* Ezra Zygmuntowicz (ezmobius at gmail.com) [061030 15:32]:
> Hey Greg-
> 	Yes I am sorry, the new architecture uses fork and named pipes and a
> bunch of unix stuff to do its magick. Now you may be able to port it
> to qwork on windows, but I don't think it is possible :( I'm really
> sorry about this but I need this thing to be as robust and solid as
> it can be and in the end windows isn't compatible. Now you may be
> able to still work locally by installing cygwin and running the
> backgroundrb under cygwin.

that said: we use the Slave library which takes care of all of this for
us, i.e. we have no encoded knowledge of the forks and the named pipes,
which means that if someone wrote a library with a similar interface as
the slave library, it wouldn't be all that much work to plug it in.
Porting Slave to windows might now be straight forward however.

|\|\             where in the       |          s_u_b_s_t_r_u_c_t_i_o_n