[Backgroundrb-devel] deployment issues?

Rob Biedenharn Rob at AgileConsultingLLC.com
Wed Oct 25 15:23:11 EDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Michael D'Auria wrote:
> BackgrounDRb is a plugin, which means it is specific to your app
> whereas a gem is a globally available piece of software.  The best
> gem example i can give is mongrel, you install it once and use it
> with all your apps.
>
> This means that you will have to install the plugin yourself, what
> is your dev environment?  If you develop on your local machine,
> which you should be, then you can just issue "script/plugin install
> svn://rubyforge.org//var/svn/backgroundrb"  All on one line of
> course.  You can follow the rest of the installation directions
> here: http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/.  Once it is installed
> locally and working locally, you can just simply upload your
> project to your hosting provider.
>
> .: Michael :.

And the startup script for BackgrounDRb specifically expects:

require RAILS_ROOT + '/vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/backgroundrb.rb'

so you really don't have a choice but to install it as a plugin.

I just got a deployed BackgrounDRb working on a PowerVPS host and
needed to make RAILS_ENV=production explicit as well as adding a
'nohup' to keep the detached process running when deployed (or
restarted) through capistrano.

I just received a response from TextDrive (i.e., another shared host
environment) about my question regarding a port number to use.  The
suggestion was to use a Unix-domain socket rather than a TCP socket
(port).

I need to pull the latest code from the svn and see about what kind
of patch(es) I might be able to give back to Ezra and one of them may
be to permit use of a Unix rather than TCP socket.  I'll post my
solution back to the list.

-Rob

Rob at AgileConsultingLLC.com