[Backgroundrb-devel] Please help with 2 (related?) problems

todd Richmond twr at frii.com
Wed Oct 18 01:43:26 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I was able to get the BackgrounDrb plugin installed, and even got the
example
progress bar working.  So far so good.  But now that I'm trying to do
something
a little more real, I'm getting stuck.

The first problem I'm getting is that the background task seems to be
getting
terminated by Rails.  In any case, I am getting the following error as
the first
thing that happens in my background logger:

Connection reset by peer - (DRb::DRbConnError)

What might be the common causes of this error?

The second problem that I'm having, which I suspect may be related, is
that
my view tries to call the get_progress action, but doesn't get a
response.

In the view file I have:

<%= periodically_call_remote(:url => {:controller => 'parser',
                                            :action =>
'get_progress'}, :frequency => 1) %>

And in the parser controller, I have (basically verbatim from the
example):

def get_progress
    if request.xhr?
      progress_percent =
MiddleMan.get_worker(session[:job_key]).progress
      render :update do |page|
        page.call('progressPercent', 'progressbar', progress_percent)
        page.redirect_to( :action => 'done')   if progress_percent >=
100
      end
    else
      redirect_to :action => 'index'

When I run the controller, I get the following error in the log file:

Processing ParserController#get_progress (for 127.0.0.1 at 2006-10-17
23:23:23) [POST]
  Session ID: 7425fe7cfe8db2c0211d5046b5b8e166
  Parameters: {"action"=>"get_progress", "controller"=>"parser"}

ActionController::UnknownAction (No action responded to get_progress):

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?  I'm fairly new to
Ruby, Rails, and BackgrounDrb, so please be gentle. ;)

Thanks a bunch,

Todd Richmond