[Backgroundrb-devel] accessing session data in worker

Bill Walton bill.walton at charter.net
Tue Oct 17 12:26:39 EDT 2006

Hi Michael,

Michael D'Auria wrote:

> I was accessing the Session model directly
> from within a worker and it was working:

I don't seem to be able to access my models at all.   I've got two AR models
in this little sandbox app: Session and Emrec.  I thought I'd start with the
Emrec model (haven't tried to access the Session model yet).  In the
controller, before starting up the worker, I create an Emrec.  In the
worker, I want to delete it.  I was trying to pass in the id of the record I
want but couldn't get that to work.  I figured it was a problem with how I
was trying to access the record id, so I tried to hardcode the delete.  My
worker looks like...

-----------  worker ---------
class FooWorker < BackgrounDRb::Rails
  attr_reader :time_remaining

  def do_work(args)
    @time_remaining = 7

  def calculate_the_meaning_of_life(args)
    while @time_remaining > 0
      # calculations here
      @time_remaining -= 1
--------- end of worker ---------

The emrec is not getting deleted.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Also, assuming I get the hardcoded version working, what's the syntax for
accessing the values passed in the args hash?