[Backgroundrb-devel] BackgrounDRb newbie stuck at first base. Fresh pair of eyes needed

Fri Oct 13 05:55:07 EDT 2006

Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Chris T wrote:
>> Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>>>     Also I am not entirely sure that you can use respond_to? across
>>> a drb connection like that. Because drb uses method missing
>>> internally to dispatch across the wire it won't be able to
>>> respond_to? what you are trying to do. Is it just the test case that
>>> is failing?
>>> -EZra
>> Ezra
>> I've tried doing this through the console, just to see where the prob
>> is, but keep having difficulties with all the requires. Do I need to
>> do all the requires in the test case, including requiring the worker?
>> Keep getting uninitialized constant... Could that be a clue, or won't
>> it work via the console.
>> Cheers for your help
>> Chris
> Chris-
>     It will work fine from the console as long as the backgroundrb
> server is running before you start script/console then you can just
> access the MidleMan directly. Make sure you have entirely killed the
> drb server and then restart it and drop into script/console and try it
> from there. Does it work if you try to use one of the example workers
> at all? Have you ever had the plugin working yet and just now its
> broken or what? Also I see in your unit test that you are testing for
> hse_notices_retrieved but you didnt make an attr_accessor for it. From
> what you have showed me I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be
> working. Make sure that you have really killed the server and then
> restart it and try again.
> -Ezra
One other thing, if backgroundrb crashes or goes off on one (easy to do
when you're doing screen scraping, even if you are using mocks), rake
backgroundrb:stop doesn't stop the process (although it throws no error
or warning). I had to go into OS X's activity monitor to kill it. Think
that was possibly causing some of the erratic behaviour. Too new to OS X
to know whether this is a Mac thing, and haven't had a chance to look
into the rake tasks yet, but just thought it was worth reporting.