[Backgroundrb-devel] Multiple backgroundrb servers?

Jason Sydes jasonsydes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:29:18 EST 2006

What are people are doing when they need to deploy a new code base?  You
can't just restart backgroundrb, because then you lose any long-running
backgroundrb processes.   But then you'd conceivably have to wait several
hours for all your procs to complete before pushing out the new code base.

I was originally thinking that during code deploys, we'd start up a second
backgroundrb server (on the new code base) and shunt all new jobs to it, and
wait for all the existing jobs on the first backgroundrb server to complete
before shutting the first one down.  A flip-flop essentially.

But then I realized that backgroundrb doesn't currently support multiple
servers on a single rails installation.  I noticed a ticket contemplating
the use of Rinda for a future release, but wasn't sure if that
implementation would address this scenario.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, so I thought I'd write to the
list and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks!
Jason