[Backgroundrb-devel] Making it work under JRuby

skaar skaar at waste.org
Thu Nov 9 08:01:12 EST 2006

* Kimmo Lehto (kimmo.lehto at gmail.com) [061109 04:05]:
> I've been having problems starting the daemon under JRuby, has anyone
> else tried this?

the short answer is:

   /opt/jruby/bin/jirb
   irb(main):001:0> read, write = IO::pipe
    NoMethodError: undefined method `pipe' for IO:Class

The slave library we are using, use pipes and domain sockets, which are
not available with jruby. As with Windows - if someone where to
implement a library with a similar interface to Slave, then it would be
relatively straight forward for us to use this.

What I was hoping we could get wourking, was to run the MiddleMan client
part with JRuby, so that Rails on Ruby or åny other client code could
communicate with a BackgrounDRb server.

Right now this doesn't work either, and there is a jira bug for this:

   http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-248

to the extent we are tracking this, it will be in:

   http://backgroundrb.devjavu.com/projects/backgroundrb/ticket/25

/skaar