[Backgroundrb-devel] New Backgroundrb Speed Issues?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 21:37:42 EST 2006

Jason are you starting a new worker each time you try this? Or do you
have a long running worker you can call multiple times to do the same
calculations? The new system does have more overhead for starting new
workers. So it is better to design your system with a few core
workers that always run and then you continue to call methods on
these long workers.

The old system may be faster in a few cases and thats fine if it
still works for you. This new version is much more scalable. I need
it to be able to handle a significant number of things that each
require the power of their own ruby interpreter. You can easily run
into issues with ruby's green threads in the old code.

That said the new code is still teething. Like we said we will have a
rock solid production version by 0.3.0. We appreciate people testing
the new version and please file bug reports on the trac: