[Backgroundrb-devel] Need to call C++ processing beast from backgroudrb

Douglass Turner douglass.turner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 10:59:47 EDT 2006

Bravo Ezra for Backgroundrb! What an elegant piece of engineering. I
envision many folks like myself looking at our CPU hogging executables and
finally seeing a clean path to the Web.

I was wondering if any folks have a good strategy for calling out to a C++
(or any other compiled) executable from a worker. Is the only option to call
system() from a worker? That feels a bit unsatisfying. How for example is
the Ruby binding of ImageMagick (RMagick) done and is that perhaps a
strategy for a cleaner more Ruby-ish solution.

For context, I intend to call an image manipulation engine written in C++
(yacc + lex + pixel wrangler) from a worker which receives and uploaded
photo from a user. My plan is to mail the processed photo back to said user
using ActionMailer.

Anyway, happy days Ezra.

Doug Turner
skype: dduuggllaa