[Backgroundrb-devel] no view involved...

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:06:46 EDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 5:56 PM, cremes.devlist at mac.com wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>
>> 	Yeah that sounds like a perfect use case for backgroundrb. You can
>> just kick off the backend worker from a normal rails action after you
>> have validated all the stuff and the worker can stay alive and
>> working as long as you want to leave it in there. You could have a
>> worker something like this:
>>

> Sounds good!
>
> Since a lot of backgroundrb relies on DRb, is it safe to assume I
> could push these workers out to other DRb instances running on
> other machines? Or is there a dependency on MiddleMan that would
> prevent that?
>
> (Thanks for being so responsive!)
>
> cr

	No dependency that I can forsee, you can keep pushing things out to
more drb servers on other computers. In fact the next release will
allow your worker classes to have 'slaves' a slave is another drb
server run in a forked process that will only stay alive as long as
your worker stays alive. So your worker class could potentially start
a bunch of new processes to do heavy lifting and this slave feature
will make it very easy. Details soon.

-Ezra