[Backgroundrb-devel] Creating workers on server startup?

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Mon Jul 31 19:02:21 EDT 2006

We currently do something like this -- we use backgroundrb for a
long-running task that starts and continues running -- however we
don't do it when backgroundrb starts, but rather instead execute a
rake task after backgroundrb starts that continues to process.  So if
you were to make changes (or redeploy/restart using capistrano), you'd
do:

# rake backgroundrb:stop
  ... wait ... or sleep
# rake backgroundrb:start
# rake start_your_task

where start_your_task is defined in your Rakefile to simply start the Middleman.

We mention this in a blog posting:
http://cleanair.highgroove.com/articles/2006/06/23/running-background-jobs

This process has been running for a looong time now, and all is well:

# ps auxww | grep backgroundrb
highgroo     8002  0.2 10.7  29764 25840 ?        S    Jul19  45:17 backgroundrb

Did i mention we love backgrounDRb?

cheers

On 7/31/06, Ben Johnson <bjohnson at contuitive.com> wrote:

> I have workers that need to be created when I run rake backgroundrb:start.
> Where do I put this code?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Thank You,
> Ben Johnson