[Backgroundrb-devel] Starting backgroundrb from rails and restarting with rails

Jason Edgecombe jedgecombe at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jul 31 15:19:46 EDT 2006

I have my rails sites tricked out with capistrano, and backgroundrb, so
I can easily use the ant tasks, but I would like to be able to start and
stop backgroundrb from within rails.

I have a few reasons for this:
1. Using fastcgi, backgroundrb would start under the apache user and the
same mod_security context as apache, instead of my developer account
which has many more privileges.
2. I'd like rails to be able to start backgroundrb if it isn't running.
3. I'd also like rails to be to restart backgroundrb if rails itself has
been restarted.
4. I'm lazy. ;)

I'm thinking of having rails store the time that rails started in
backgroundrb and restart backgroundrb if the time if the rails time is
later than the backgroundrb time.

Any pointers?

Jason Edgecombe