[Backgroundrb-devel] Production deployment?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 12:19:47 EDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 9:08 AM, Mayank Thanawala wrote:

> Hi all,
> BackgrounDrb was exactly what I needed for a project I'm working on at
> work.  Everyone's really impressed, and now it's time to put the
> system into production.
> My question is, how do I avoid having to manually run the startup and
> shutdown scripts (or the rake tasks) for backgroundrb?
> I tried putting a system "rake backgroundrb:start" in my
> environment.rb, and it worked, but (a) it won't handle the shutdown,
> so if I restart the web server, I'll have two instances of
> backgroundrb running, which can't be good; and (b) in production,
> there are multiple dispatch.fcgi instances (using Apache/FastCGI), so
> doesn't that mean environment.rb will get called twice, once again
> leading me to multiple backgroundrb instances?
> Any input on the preferred way to do this would be most helpful.
> Thanks again Ezra for a wonderful resource!
> Mayank

Hi Mayank-

	One way I have done this is to make a wrapper script for starting
and stopping my rails app. I usually use mongrel and mongrel_cluster
for my apps now. So I make a script that checks to see if bgdrb is
already running and either restart or start it and then use system to
start the mongrel cluster. Then I do the same thing for a restart or
shutdown script. This way I create a single point of entry and exit
from my app that I can use to start and stop the drb server. I am
working hard on a new version of the plugin that addresses a bunch of
issues that have shaken out now that a lot of people are using this
plugin. IT will address this issue as well as others and make
deployment with bgdrb even easier.