[Backgroundrb-devel] Production deployment?

Mayank Thanawala mthanawala at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 12:08:31 EDT 2006

Hi all,

BackgrounDrb was exactly what I needed for a project I'm working on at
work.  Everyone's really impressed, and now it's time to put the
system into production.

My question is, how do I avoid having to manually run the startup and
shutdown scripts (or the rake tasks) for backgroundrb?

I tried putting a system "rake backgroundrb:start" in my
environment.rb, and it worked, but (a) it won't handle the shutdown,
so if I restart the web server, I'll have two instances of
backgroundrb running, which can't be good; and (b) in production,
there are multiple dispatch.fcgi instances (using Apache/FastCGI), so
doesn't that mean environment.rb will get called twice, once again
leading me to multiple backgroundrb instances?

Any input on the preferred way to do this would be most helpful.

Thanks again Ezra for a wonderful resource!