[Backgroundrb-devel] Problem with drbundumped?

Ben Johnson bjohnson at contuitive.com
Fri Jul 21 21:47:58 EDT 2006

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but it definitely henders
the way one would use the passing of objects to the drb server. Isn't
the point of passing objects to the drb server to act like its
passing to just another local method? When I pass an object to the
drb server a lot of the useful methods are gone. Such as id() or class
() or inspect(), etc. I spent a good 8 hours figuring out what the
hell was going on with my worker class when I realized the id of a
model object was 543543534, something completely different than that
in the database. Not only that, I do different class type checking to
perform different actions depending on the class type of the object.

I'm not sure its possible, but I think it would seem more intuitive
to simply make the class(), inspect(), etc methods all make a call
back to the original object to get the information.

Thank You,
Ben Johnson
E: bjohnson at contuitive.com