[Backgroundrb-devel] Mysql Server has gone away?

robby at 1066propaganda.com robby at 1066propaganda.com
Wed Jul 19 22:10:26 EDT 2006

First off, amazing plugin! Being a rails noob, it helped me do some stuff
I would've thought way over my head. Which brings me to my problem. :)

I'm using backgroundrb to handle some processes that take so long that I
don't want them tied to a page refresh (several xml-rpc calls and saving
data in text files on the server). I got it working with backgroundrb
fairly quickly and got the AJAX status stuff working (was REALLY
pleasantly surprised with how easy that part was :).

So everything is working great, until a couple hours later when everything
stops working. At first I couldn't figure it out. things would be working
great, and then not, no obvious error messages or anything. I was able to
track down an exception getting thrown:

Mysql::Error: MySQL server has gone away:

I searched through the list and through the rails site for any reference
to this being an issue. All I could find is some reference to this being a
problem in older versions of rails.

Is anyone aware of a fix? I'm using the latest version of BackgroundRB and
rails v. 1.1, and I'm currently hosted on textdrive, if any of that is
helpful.

If there's any code that would be helpful to post I can do that too, I'm
just not sure what would be relevant.

Thanks!