[Backgroundrb-devel] changing workers needs restart?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:03:09 EDT 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Jim Morris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Great tool BTW!
>
> I have noticed that changing the workers (ie editing them) requires
> restarting the backrounddb
> server. Is there a way to improve this for development
> environments? much like the way rails reloads
> in development mode without having to stop and restart webbrick?
>
> Thanks

Hey Kim-

	That my friend is a very good question ;-) I haven't come up with a
way yet to make this happen. I will look into it this weekend though
when I add a few patches and enhance a few features. I plan on adding
breakpoint support so you can breakpoint and inspect your workers for
debugging. I will see if I can come up with a way to get worker
classes reloaded without a restart of the server. Although the way
things work I think there will still have to be a command you send to
MiddleMan to get it to reload your worker classes. I can't see a way
to have it autoreload your workers without a bunch of hackery.

	Perhaps it could look like this:

$ script/console

 >> MiddleMan.reload_workers!

	I'll see what I can come up with as this seems like a good thing to
support.

Cheers-
-Ezra