[Backgroundrb-devel] Req: Workers as singletons

Günter Ladwig gladwig at gmx.de
Mon Jul 3 17:45:54 EDT 2006

On 03.07.2006, at 22:19, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> Hi Gunter-
>
>  	I can add a singleton type worker probably. Can you tell me what
> your use case is for needing this? I'm curious as to how you would
> use or what you plan on doing with singleton workers. Are you
> defining your worker classes as actual singletons using include
> Singleton? If so then maybe I can make a different type of
> superclass to inherit your workers from that is a true singleton.
> I'll have to think about it a bit. I just added new job management
> stuff to the threading model so I will have to work that in with
> your singleton idea but I'm sure I can come up with a nice way of
> doing this for you.

No, the worker class is not defined as a Singleton. It's just that I
need only one instance of the worker. I'm not using the worker for
temporary background calculations (which seems to be the common use
case), but instead as a background process that periodically updates
the database and takes requests from the Rails app. It should not be
killed and respawned because it has persistent connections to other
servers.

Günter