[Backgroundrb-devel] Progress update for non-JavaScript users

Mark Somerville ms at pccl.info
Wed Dec 27 04:54:58 EST 2006

Hi there,

I'm running BackgrounDRb for importing some large files into our system. It's
very nice and we're able to use a simple JavaScript call to periodically
provide progress messages to the user and, ultimately, success or failure

How are people relaying progress and/or results messages back to users who
don't have JavaScript enabled?

Pretty much the only solution I can think of is to, on each request, check if
the current user has an import going on and, if so, fetch the status and
display it somewhere. Is this how most people are doing it? Or am I missing
something obvious? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks a lot,