[Backgroundrb-devel] Is there a way to make backgroundrb 0.2.1 fail silently on win32?

Eden Li eden.li at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 04:00:27 EST 2006

>       I don't know of any way to do conditional svn:externals sorry. Maybe
> for now you could remove backgroundrb from your svn repo and set
> svn:ignore on it. Then just have it in there locally but not checking
> it in. Then you could also keep a copy of backgroundrb on the server
> and have your deploy cap task symlink it into the app after deploy.

This is a possibility, but it requires me to have to go onto my server
and maintain a separate directory of files that aren't versioned along
with the rest of the project.  It's not that bad, but I figured out a
way to get the desired effect without resorting to this.

Rails puts the app's lib/ ahead of all plugins in the library search
path, so I created a file that shares the same name of the file that
gets loaded in backgroundrb's init.rb (middleman_rails_init.rb) and
placed it under my lib directory.  This file will exit silently if it
finds itself being loaded on win32 otherwise it'll continue loading
the appropriate middleman_rails_init from backgroundrb.

> since all Rails loads is the lib/ files - I think we can make it
> conditional on platform - if you submit a ticket we can look at it for
> the next release.

I've filed a ticket and attached a patch for init.rb: