[Backgroundrb-devel] feature request: config option to toggle scheduled jobs based on environment

Mason Hale masonhale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:06:14 EST 2006

I have BackgrounDRb configured to handle two cases of long-running tasks:
(1) on-demand user triggered requests for some action, and (2) scheduled
background running of tasks on a predetermined schedule.

In my particular case, we have a publication task that can take several
minutes to perform. Users can setup a regular publication schedule, or can
hit a 'publish now' button to start a process immediately.

The challenge I have is that in development mode, I want to be able to fire
off the 'publish now' tasks (for testing), but do NOT want the scheduled
background tasks to run automatically.

I want to do this in a way that works with multiple developers and that does
not complicate deployment.

The ideal for me would be some flag I could set that tells BackgroundRB not
to run it's scheduled tasks, and have that flag automatically set based on
the current RAILS_ENV.
This would be similar to the way ActionMailer works, where I have a line:

   config.action_mailer.perform_deliveries = false

in my config/environments/development.rb file and a  line:

  config.action_mailer.perform_deliveries = true

in my config/environments/production.rb file.

So something like:

   config.backgroundrb.enable_scheduler = false
or
   config.backgroundrb.run_scheduled_tasks = false

would be awesome.

I can probably hack something into my copy of the BackgrounDRb code to make
this work for my needs, but I wanted to through it out there as a feature
request as well.

best regards,
Mason