[Backgroundrb-devel] Is there a way to make backgroundrb 0.2.1 fail silently on win32?

Eden Li eden.li at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 12:55:47 EST 2006

After upgrading to backgroundrb 0.2.x, Rails barfs lstat errors left and
right when using the console or webrick or mongrel on win32.  We run our
site on a Linux server, so I'm not trying to get backgroundrb to work on a
win32 machine.  I just want to quietly stop loading itself if it detects
that it's on a win32 machine so that the rest of Rails can continue to load.

Most of our developers are working on win32 machines and they're focused on
other parts of our site, so it would be nice for them to be able to continue
working on their bits of code even though backgroundrb is sitting dormant in
the vendor/plugins directory.

I tried searching for a way to disable certain plugins in
config/environment.rb, but it appears this idea was batted down by DHH:
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/5468

Is there something I can do to monkey patch my svn:externals'd link to
backgroundrb 0.2.1 to prevent it from loading itself if PLATFORM =~
/win32/i?

I could unlink backgroundrb from the devjavu svn repository and do the patch
myself on the code, but I'd prefer not to store backgroundrb in my own SVN
repo.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
eden