[Backgroundrb-devel] Just a tip

Ben Johnson bjohnson at contuitive.com
Mon Aug 28 03:02:17 EDT 2006

I figured instead of asking a question I would share some useful
knowledge I learned this week. Maybe you already know this, maybe you

If you use backgroundrb to run an "infinite" loop, or create many
threads, or do quite a bit of processor intensive tasks, and you
notice that its running kind of slow, it might not be a bad idea to
have multiple backgroundrb processes running, especially if you have
a dual core processor or more than 1 processor. I am on a server with
2 dual core processors. I noticed under the "top" command my
background process was reaching 99% of the CPU. This was because it
was only utilizing 1/4 of the power the server had to offer. Anyways,
I modified backgroundrb quite a bit. To the point where I can make a
change in the configuration file and allow the start script to create
as many processes as I need.

Needless to say I saw speed increases of over 10 times what it used
to be.

All that you have to do is evenly distribute your tasks among the
many processes.

Maybe this will help someone, who know, but its worth putting into
this list.

Thank You,
Ben Johnson
E: bjohnson at contuitive.com