[Backgroundrb-devel] Rake tasks fail silently, how to debug?

James Hughes hughes.james at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:09:57 EDT 2006

(Sorry, I keep forgetting reply-all on this list)

On 8/25/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2006, at 2:22 PM, James Hughes wrote:
> > Any hints on how I can get more verbosity, or thoughts on what might
> > be happening?
> >
> > (This happens with both the rails gem and edge; also, I'm tracking
> > backgroundrb via svn:externals)
> Hey James-
>         When did this start happening? If you roll back one revision from
> trunk does that fix it? I just did a fresh svn co of trunk and was
> able to run the setup and start tasks without any issues. So please
> try again. Aslo can you use the start script directly instead of the
> rake task? Take a look in the rake task you can see what it does, it
> just copies the script dir up into your rails app and makes a config
> file. I don't know how to make rake more verbose in this case. Maybe
> open up the rakefile and add some puts statements and tell me what
> you find out would you?
> -Ezra

Hi Ezra,

I've done what you suggest. The setup task actually appears to be
behaving correctly: all the scripts and config are already in place so
it's not actually failing, it's just not doing anything. However, when
I run the start script directly (i.e. not with rake), without the -d
option, I get the following:

private method `new' called for BackgrounDRb::MiddleMan:Class

Something's not where it's supposed to be, but I'm not sure what.

ps. Also possibly relevant, when I run the tests I get the following failure:

  1) Failure:
test_new_worker(BackgrounDRbTest) [./test/test_backgroundrb.rb:43]:
expected to be kind_of?
<Integer> but was

James Hughes
Web application developer
Vancouver, BC

"Developing a coherent political analysis is in many respects
contingent upon an ability to connect one context to another, a
process not dissimilar to playing the kid's game of dot-to-dot."
 - Ward Churchill, from '"A Government of Laws"?'