[Backgroundrb-devel] Setting the process priority?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 00:45:07 EDT 2006

On Aug 19, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:

> Is it possible to make the process priority higher for backgroundrb?
> Thank You,
> Ben Johnson
> E: bjohnson at contuitive.com

	You mean like the OS level? I think that would be totally dependent
on what OS you are running. And I don't think it would be something
you could do from within ruby. I think you would have to do it from
within your OS. Well you could make some system calls to set the nice
level i guess.

	Also in your case maybe you might want to consider running more then
one bgdrb daemon. You could easily seperate the drb servers and run a
certain amount of workers in one and more workers in another. This
would require some hacking on your part but not too much. You could
duplicate the code block in the plugin/lib/backgrondrb.rb file and
rename the second one MiddleMan2 or whatever and change the port
number. I may add this as an option in a future release. I am also
playing with the idea of using Rinda TupleSpace to distribute the
workers across multiple processes. This would allow for bigger jobs
to be easily processed by multiple workers in their own processes.
Let me know what you end up doing.