[Backgroundrb-devel] Impossible to get stable?

Ben Johnson bjohnson at contuitive.com
Fri Aug 18 21:20:11 EDT 2006

I have concluded that it is impossible to get this background process
stable. I am out of ideas and could really use some help.

Here is what I have:

50 workers, just running an infinite loop that constantly calls save!
on a model. Keep in mind this is just for testing purposes. I catch
all exceptions and put them in the log.

I am tried setting allow_concurrency to true and false. Neither of
them is stable. For both true and false I have got the following errors:

#<ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: Mysql::Error: Lock wait timeout
exceeded; try restarting transaction:

#<ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: Mysql::Error: MySQL server has gone

What have you found to be most stable? Setting allow concurrency to
false and just putting a Mutex.synchronize object around all database
calls? Or setting it true?

Thank You,
Ben Johnson
E: bjohnson at contuitive.com