[Backgroundrb-devel] Worker pool worker for page scanners: lost connection to mysql

P. Mark Anderson mark at martianrover.com
Thu Aug 17 17:15:54 EDT 2006

I want to scan many URLs simultaneously with a new scanner worker for
each URL, but I keep getting Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL.
Yes, allow_concurrency=false.

Each scanner thread needs access to my ActiveRecord models to store
discovered feeds and whatnot.  There is a DB table called page_scans
that acts as a big queue holding URLs waiting to be scanned.

It would be nice to run a worker that spawns up to 10 scanner workers
at a time to chip away at the queue, but first I need to figure out
what kinds of problems kill the mysql connection in a worker.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!