[Backgroundrb-devel] Need help with backgroundrb's concepts and installation

Cameron Booth cameron at theworkinggroup.ca
Wed Aug 9 18:30:31 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I have a similar issue in my new rails app - one process, generating
a PDF takes up way too much memory/processor in some cases (when
there are a lot of pages), taking down my server for other users.

Looks like BackgrounDrb will help distribute that? Again, I'm just
getting started now, but my question - is there a way to ensure that
tasks I farm out to a MiddleMan won't take up tonnes of server
processing? Can I "nice" them, or make them lower priority or something?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

And Ezra, saw you speak at RailsConf, was a good one....I'm now at
RailsMachine, putting Mongrel through it's paces....aside from this,
seems to be going well!

Cheers,

Cameron

On Aug 9, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Tee wrote:

 > Hello backgroundrb-devel
 > my name is Teeranit Ruangdet. I'm fairly new to Ruby on Rails so
 > please bear with me here.
 > I'm currently on a project where I need to import a whole bunch of
 > records from spreadsheet(.csv)  and save them in the database. My
 > problem is that while I'm importing (huge file...say 5000
 > employees), no one else can access the website (it basically block
 > everybody out from the server including myself. It will gain back
 > the access when it finished importing which takes about 45 minutes
 > because of all the business rules) so my friends recommended me to
 > look up into backgroundrb and here I am ;)
 >
 > So my first question to you is. Is backgroundrb what I needed to
 > solved my problem? All I need is for my program to be able to
 > import a file to the database and allow other people to access the
 > website at the same time (perhaps make some changes with a
 > different table on the same database .. it's ok to not be able to
 > make change to emoployee's table while it's importing).
 >
 > Second question, if backgroundrb is perfect for this scenario, how
 > do I install it? I use window machine and I follow the instructions
 > from this link (http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/ ) in order to
 > install backgroundrb but it doesn't seem to work right
 >
 > here is how I install backgroundrb  ( btw, my project name is
 > called ttv3)
 > 1. I ran
 >
 > C:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\ttv3> ruby script/plugin install
 > svn://rubyforge.org//var/svn/backgroundrb
 >
 > 2. it seems to be loading something for a second
 > 3. then I input
 >
 > C:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\ttv3>rake backgroundrb:setup
 >
 > but then I got this error message
 >
 > C:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\ttv3>rake backgroundrb:setup
 > (in C:/InstantRails-1.0/rails_apps/ttv3)
 > rake aborted!
 > Don't know how to build task 'backgroundrb:setup'

 > What did I do wrong? Please advise
 >
 > Regards,
 > Teeranit Ruangdet

Welcome Teeranit-

	Yes I think backgroudrb is the perfect plugin for what you need to
do. You have to have subversion installed to be able to use script/
plugin install on this plugin. Do you have svn or subversion
installed? Also can you tell me the exact output from the console
when you try to install it? THe error about not know the task is
because the plugin was not installed correctly.

-Ezra