[Backgroundrb-devel] Need help with backgroundrb's concepts and installation

Tee truangde at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 16:06:44 EDT 2006

Hello backgroundrb-devel
my name is Teeranit Ruangdet. I'm fairly new to Ruby on Rails so please bear
with me here.
I'm currently on a project where I need to import a whole bunch of records
from spreadsheet(.csv)  and save them in the database. My problem is that
while I'm importing (huge file...say 5000 employees), no one else can access
the website (it basically block everybody out from the server including
myself. It will gain back the access when it finished importing which takes
about 45 minutes because of all the business rules) so my friends
recommended me to look up into backgroundrb and here I am ;)

So my first question to you is. Is backgroundrb what I needed to solved my
problem? All I need is for my program to be able to import a file to the
database and allow other people to access the website at the same time
(perhaps make some changes with a different table on the same database ..
it's ok to not be able to make change to emoployee's table while it's

Second question, if backgroundrb is perfect for this scenario, how do I
install it? I use window machine and I follow the instructions from this
link (http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/) in order to install backgroundrb
but it doesn't seem to work right

here is how I install backgroundrb  ( btw, my project name is called ttv3)
1. I ran

C:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\ttv3>ruby script/plugin install

2. it seems to be loading something for a second
3. then I input

C:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\ttv3>rake backgroundrb:setup

but then I got this error message

C:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\ttv3>rake backgroundrb:setup
(in C:/InstantRails-1.0/rails_apps/ttv3)
rake aborted!
Don't know how to build task 'backgroundrb:setup'

What did I do wrong? Please advise

Teeranit Ruangdet