[Backgroundrb-devel] [ANN] New Release

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:15:59 EDT 2006

Folks-

	I just pushed out a new release last night. THis is a bug fix
release as well as some new features that have come up that people need.

	I made the MiddleMan class include Singleton so it is now a true
singleton. What this means is that the autostart stuff now works
correctly because you can always get the same MiddleMan instance from
anywhere within the drb server including your workers. This means
that if you want to, you can start new workers from within a worker
like so:

#in a worker class

@key = spawn_worker :class => :foo, :args => 'whatever'

	This also means that you can now finally kill your worker completely
from within itself when you are done with it. THis is for everyone
who needs to fire off a worker and forget it and let it clean up
after itself. To kill a worker from within itself do this:

#in worker class, kill with no args kills the current worker

kill

# if you spawned another worker from within your worker and you have
its job key you can kill it too

kill(job_key)

	I also went in a refactored some code and added more test cases.
Things are purring pretty nicely now. This release still does not
address the cron worker issue. I will be working on that here soon to
see what I can do to make it more cron like.

	Please download the new version and test your stuff with it for me.
I don't think this release should affect and pre existing code you
have, it just made things cleaner internally.

Cheers-
-Ezra