[Backgroundrb-devel] Memory leak?

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:39:26 EDT 2006

Erza,

Similar to this, I have case, where though worker thread will be invoked by
user from page, but user will not interact with any further.So, this thread,
will run and once its done with its job, it should quit.

Now, is it possible? Without a explicit cron job, which will delete older
worker threads?

The job, may take any amount of time.If "terminate" doesnt delete the
thread, then there should be a mechanism for self-deleting(or a method,
which we can call explicitly) the thread from worker threads, once they are
done with their job.

On 8/8/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joel-
>
>         OK I think that is the behavior we are looking for. With the
> GC.start in the gc! method I think you will be ok. I will add an
> option to completely terminate a worker and call GC.start from within
> a worker when it is done with its job. It will be in the next
> release. I will experiment with RMagick and drb myself here to see if
> I can get it to behave correctly. But MiniMagick works great sine it
> shells out to the Magick command line tools and therefore doesn't
> ever leak any memory. You may want to try that if you are memory
> constrained at all. Sometimes when a process on linux eats up a lot
> of memory and tries to free it, it will not go away immediately in
> top. You said the virtual memory went down , what about the real
> memory? Where is that at after the GC.start call?
>
> -Ezra
>

> On Aug 7, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Joel Hayhurst wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how to make it call delete_worker or gc! reliably; I'd
> > rather just have the worker die completely when the do_work method
> > was finished.  Alternatively, a nice way to queue up calls to one
> > worker would do just as well, but I found that making a singleton
> > and later getting it and calling do_work(newarg) made me wait until
> > do_work was completed in the request.
> >
> > Anyway -- RMagick does have a "leak" of sorts in that you must call
> > GC.start after every Image.read() call.  However after doing this I
> > have had no leak issues, and my resize_all method in the Image
> > class merely calls my resize method multiple times for all of the
> > sizes I need; there are no missing GC.start calls there.  I would
> > be willing to try MiniMagick.
> >
> > I added your suggestion, restarted backgroundrb and mongrel, and am
> > presently having it resize a bunch of images.  It started at around
> > ~20 megs virtual memory and after resizing about 100 images it is
> > at ~229 megs.  Real memory usage is just about as high, and it is
> > using up 11.1% of my available RAM.  The platform is Gentoo Linux.
> > Doing multiple hundreds of images I have seen it get up to around
> > 800 megs before I stopped.
> >
> > OK, I just ran gc!(Time.now) with the new GC.start call, and it
> > immediately went down to 143 megs of virtual memory.  That is
> > unexpected; I expected it to either stay the same or drop down
> > nearer to 20 megs.

> >> Hey Joel-
> >>
> >>      Calling terminate does not immediately terminate the worker
> >> class. All it does is flag the thread as ok to terminate when a
> >> delete_worker call is made. So you will still need to call
> >> delete_worker or gc! in order to clear your worker out of @jobs.
> >> As far as actually getting the process memory back, you need to
> >> realize that even if you call GC.start, that doesn't mean that
> >> ruby will automatically clean up all garbage. What platform are
> >> you on? And can you confirm whether the real memory or the virtual
> >> memory decrease after a delete_worker and a GC.start ?

> [...]

nothing much to talk