[Backgroundrb-devel] Call for examples

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:29:05 EDT 2006

I am using backgroundrb to read rss feeds for all the sysmbols from Yahoo
finance.

require 'rss/2.0'
require 'open-uri'

class ResearchWorker < BackgrounDRb::Rails

  def do_work(args)
    yahoo_url = "http://finance.yahoo.com/rss/headline?s="
    symbol_list = NasdaqSymbols.find_all()
    while true
      symbol_list.each do|sym|
        temp_sym = sym.symbol.strip
        temp_url = yahoo_url + temp_sym
        @logger.debug("Searching for symbol: #{temp_url}")
        get_feeds(temp_url,temp_sym)
      end
      sleep(10*60)
    end # end of infinite loop
  end # end of do_worker function

  protected
  def get_feeds(url,temp_sym)
    open(url) do |http|
      response = http.read
      result = RSS::Parser.parse(response,false)
      result.items.each_with_index do |item,i|
        begin
          title = item.title[0..99]
          link = item.link
          description = item.description
          pub_date = item.pubDate
          #check if the feed is there in db
          feed_data = YahooFeeds.find(:first,:conditions => ["title =
?",title])
          unless feed_data.nil?
            next
          end
          #@logger.debug("title = #{title} and link = #{link} ")
          if feed = YahooFeeds.create(
              :title => title,
              :link => link,
              :description => description,
              :pub_date => pub_date,
              :symbol => temp_sym
              )
            @logger.debug("Saved to #{temp_sym}")
          else
            @logger.debug("Error saving #{temp_sym}")
          end
        rescue Exception => e
          @logger.debug("#{e.to_s}")
  end  # end of get_feeds function
end

On 8/7/06, Michael Siebert <info at siebert-wd.de> wrote:

> Great idea!
> unfortunately i don't have any workers that anyone else would need.
> IMO the list is completely enough. if there were forums, wikis and other
> stuff, there would be too much websites to check (at least for me)
>
> 2006/8/7, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com>:
>
> > He folks-
> >
> >         First off thanks to everyone for helping to make this plugin
> > work
> > better for all of us. Its nice to have a bunch of people testing and
> > adding features. I would like to ask for people to post some examples
> > workers. I would really like to get a few more workers to distribute
> > with the plugin. Especially ones that a lot of people seem to need
> > like Email workers. So if you are allowed to do so , would some
> > people please post some example workers and a few little instructions
> > on how to use them here on the list? Please use [EXAMPLE] in the
> > subject line.
> >
> >         This will help out I think. We can tell people to search the
> > list
> > archives for [EXAMPLE] subject lines to get examples. Or do people
> > think I should put up a wiki and let people put their workers and
> > tutorials there? I would just like to have some real world examples
> > for folk just getting started with the plugin. And the workers I have
> > are very insurance company specific so I don't think they are
> > examples that anyone else would gain much by looking at.
> >
> >         What does everyone think? I want to spend more time working on
> > the
> > plugin so it would be great help if a few people would step up and
> > make some sample workers. Maybe even a little tutorial on how to make
> > an email queue worker would be cool.
> >

> > Thanks Everyone-
> >
> > -Ezra
> >

> --