[Alexandria-list] smart library + about 0.7.0

Laurent Sansonetti laurent.sansonetti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:10:16 EST 2005

Hi,

On 11/18/05, Ian Davey <unapersson at linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am currently working on implementing smart libraries in Alexandria.
> >I wrote something about this on my diary
> >(http://www.rubymonks.org/~lrz/diary/?date=20051118#p01).  I believe
> >this to be a very exciting feature.
> >
> This sounds really excellent, and would plug in nicely with a feature I
> would like to have added, but just haven't been able to run Alexandria
> on Ubuntu for a long time.

Ah, what is your problem with Alexandria and Ubuntu?

> What I'd wanted to add was four new fields:
> 1. read/unread checkbox
> 2. comments/review text field
> 3. date last read
> 4. number of pages
>
> This would enable generation of:
> A reading list view of all unread books.
> A list of all the books I've read this year, last year etc.
> How many pages did I read last year / at the current rate how long will
> it take me to read the books I've got left.*
>
> * This might seem strange, but I've got about 200 books on my reading
> pile and that sort of information is useful.  I used to maintain it in a
> spreadsheet, but it's far more suited to a database type application.

Yeah this has been requested a lot of times.  I plan to implement a
feature to create his own fields in the data model.  Using such a
feature would allow you to do what you want.

I prefer to let the user adding his own fields than adding such fields
by default in the data model.  I would like to keep the data model as
simple as possible.

However I do not plan to work on custom fields for 0.7.0.  We have
already enough features for this release :-)

Laurent