[Alexandria-list] I'm back, and I've got a problem

Laurent Sansonetti laurent.sansonetti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 09:58:56 EST 2005

Hi Liam,

(Sorry for the late reponse.)

On 11/3/05, Liam Davison <carnegie at liamjdavison.info> wrote:
> Hello Laurent, et al
>
> Apologies for my non-activity these last few months - I've been moving
> flat and starting a new job and the like. Anyway, I'd like to catch up
> with Alexandria and to resume working on documentation, if that's
> alright.

Hehe no problem, I was also very busy.  I hope you enjoy your new job
and location :-)

> Unfortunately, I can't get Alexandria CVS to run:
>
>  alexandria
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux/zoom.so: /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux/zoom.so: undefined symbol: ZOOM_record_destroy - /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux/zoom.so (LoadError)
>
> from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/alexandria/book_providers/z3950.rb:18
>
> from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/alexandria/book_providers.rb:238
>         from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/alexandria.rb:89
>         from /usr/bin/alexandria:7
>
> This may be me being daft, it may be a problem everyone has discussed
> and solved - I don't know. But your thoughts and help are much
> appreciated!

Mmh it looks like another well-known problem: YAZ by default does not
build shared libraries.  Did you try to compile and install YAZ by
hand?  If yes, did you pass the --enabled-shared parameter to the
configure script before building YAZ?

It may be the reason of your problem.

Cheers

Laurent