[Alexandria-list] Problem with Gtk::AboutDialog

Laurent Sansonetti laurent.sansonetti at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 09:56:51 EST 2005

Hi Ralph,

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:33:37 -0600, Ralph Mitchell
<ralphmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> In version 0.4.0 I can enter ISBNs and the lookups work fine.  If I
> export the ISBN list, I can't re-import it (about 6 entries), nor can
> I import any other ISBN list.  That's sort of critical, as I have over
> 850 books, mostly hand-entered into a database, so I've got the ISBNs
> online already.

The import code has been fixed several times on CVS.  Now it should
work perfectly.

> I thought - OK, I'll try the CVS.  Now I get this on startup:
> [...]
> Is there anything obvious missing off these lists?  I think I've
> reinstalled everything at least twice...  What would be an absolute
> minimum Ruby/Gtk script to display the AboutDialog object, just to see
> if that part works?

In fact, Alexandria CVS depends of Ruby-GNOME2 CVS.  The missing
Gtk::AboutDialog class is BTW binded against GtkAboutDialog, which is
part of GTK+ 2.6.  The latest released Ruby-GNOME2 does not include
support for GTK+ 2.6.

A new version of Ruby-GNOME2 should be released this week-end (today
or tomorrow).  Alexandria 0.5.0 will then be released the next week,
requiring this Ruby-GNOME2 release, as well as GTK+ 2.6.

> This is a Gentoo Linux system, 2.6.10 kernel, and nothing much unusual
> about it.  BTW, I have a USB Cue::Cat, and it works perfectly with
> 2.6.  As soon as I plug it in I get this in 'dmesg':
>    usb 1-6.4: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
>    input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [:Cue:CAT] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-6.4
> and it scans barcodes into the keyboard buffer without any further
> user intervention - just plug-in and scan.  I declawed it myself using
> instructions from this page:
>    http://cexx.org/cuecat.htm

Sorry, I can not help you on this, since I do not own a CueCat. I have
ordered one via eBay though, but it is not shipped yet :(