[Alexandria-list] Alexandria just stopped being able to find books!

Ross Mohn rpmohn at panix.com
Wed Apr 6 17:33:21 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 21:50 +0200, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> Hi,

> > > This is exactly what I was expecting... But I am confused, because this
> > > bug has been fixed in 0.5.1, so you should not be affected since you are
> > > using this version.
> > >
> > > # 0.5.1 should cache Amazon stuff in ~/.alexandria/.amazon_cache.
> > >
> > > Are you sure you are running 0.5.1?
> >
> > Yes, I just double checked. I see that it is caching in
> > ~/.alexandria/.amazon_cache, but it also recreated the /tmp/amazon
> > directory that I had deleted. Must still be some code in there that's
> > checking for its existence & writeablility?
> >

> Yep, it should re-create the /tmp/amazon directory but not use it.  And
> the directory should be removed when Alexandria exits.  This code comes
> from Ruby/Amazon itself and would be hard to disable.
>
> But caching should be done in ~/.alexandria/.amazon_cache itself.  I
> still do not understand why you get this problem with 0.5.1.

I think it was that the /tmp/amazon directory leftover from when I
crashed out of v0.4.0 was created without group/world write permissions.
Now with v0.5.1 the /tmp/amazon directory is created with 777, so it
works. It does not, however, remove the /tmp/amazon directory when
Alexandria exits, as you suggest it should.

I just did an experiment where I "chown root:root /tmp/amazon" and I was
still able to run Alexandria as myself. Shouldn't cause a problem,
though I'd like to test having two users run it simultaneously later
tonight.
-RPM
--
Ross Mohn