Forums | Admin

Discussion Forums: help

Start New Thread Start New Thread

By: Praveen Devarao
RE: Installation on Windows for networked iSe [ reply ]  
2009-04-14 04:35
Hi Dinshaw,

Yes, the ibm_db gem will work fine with only the "IBM Dataserver Driver for ODBC and CLI", but yes for connecting to i5 you require a DB2Connect license.

Just ensuring you downloaded the package for windows-32bit itself right. Also, I missed out specifying to set the PATH variable. It is to be set as below to the bin directory of the driver.

set PATH=c:\db2_cli_odbc_driver\clidriver\bin;%PATH%

Let us know if you require any help, will be glad to help you.

P.S: - Also ensure that you have installed the right gem for the version of ruby you have, i.e you have installed the gem for ruby-1.8 or ruby-1.9 respectively.

Thanks

Praveen

By: Dinshaw Gobhai
RE: Installation on Windows for networked iSeries [ reply ]  
2009-04-13 20:36
I have set all the ENV vars you suggested

uniinstalled and reinstalled the gem via:
gem install ibm_db

then run irb> require 'mswin32/ibm_db'

and am still getting the "This application failed to start because DB2CLI.dll was not found" error. Re-install the application may fix this application"

I also tried setting IBM_DB_DIR and IBM_DB_LIB but no change.

Did i do things in the wrong order? Is ther another path that i can set?

2009-04-13 18:25
So just to confirm, can i use the current ibm_db gem with just the The free "IBM dataserver driver for ODBC and CLI" to which you referred?

Thanks again for all your help. You have been great.

2009-04-13 15:28
Hi Dinshaw,

I got in touch with the iseries contact and he said that the IBM iseries Access for windows uses its own ODBC driver for connecting to DB2 on iseries and doesnt have the CLI in it.

Given that you want to present the rails app idea to other team I would like to give you one more information (might be you would have figured it out by now or are aware of). The IBM dataserver driver for ODBC and CLI (that I mentioned) is free while as yes the DB2Connect is a paid product.

Let me know if you require more info on anything.

Thanks

Praveen

2009-04-13 13:50
Hi Dinshaw,

As per the documents of IBM iseries access for Windows, you will be able to use the ODBC connection without DB2Connect product installed on your client machine. You can find more details on how to etc here http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/windows/index.html [Check the Database Access section (link) below]

However for a Rails app you will need to have atleast just the IBM DataServer driver installed on your Dataserver client machine. Regarding the DB2Connect licenses your iseries machine admins should be having few licenses, which they would be able to give you.

In the meantime, I am waiting for my iseries contact to be online, to ask about "IBM iseries Access for windows". Once he is online I will ask him for the details and update you on the same.

Thanks

Praveen

2009-04-13 13:15
Thanks again. One last thing...
If I were to use an ODBC connection instead of the IBM_db gem
Would I still need the DB2 Connect installed? Is there any option for connecting without DB2 connect?
My problem is that I have to sell a very skeptical it department on the idea of a rails app.

2009-04-13 12:23
Hi Dinshaw,

Frankly saying I dono about 'IBM iSeries Access for Windows'. However it seems like this product is not using the CLI driver, through which the ibm_db gem talks to DB2.

>> Does this indicate that there is already a license on the machine?<<

I have no idea. However I think you will need to get in touch with your IBMi admins for DB2 Connect licenses.

Let me know if you require more info.

Thanks

Praveen

RE: Installation on Windows for networked iSeries [ reply ]  
2009-04-13 11:56
Thank you very much for the quick reply Parveen.

How is it that the 'IBM iSeries Access for Windows'
is able to connect?
Does this indicate that there is already a license on the machine?
Does this indicate that there is already a driver on the machine?

Installation on Windows for networked iSeries [ reply ]  
2009-04-13 08:47
----------------------------------------------------
Update to users following the forum, please see the link http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=25394&group_id=2361&atid=9176 for details on the question.
----------------------------------------------------
Hi Dinshaw,

Yes, you will require the DB2 client installed on your client machine. However you will not need the full DB2 client. The IBM Dataserver Driver for ODBC and CLI http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&uid=swg21288110 , which is about 15 MB, is sufficient for connecting to DB2 server on other machines. Below you can find the steps to setup the small foot print client on windows machine.

Given that you want to connect to DB2 on iseries, yes Licensed DB2 Connect is necessary. If you have no need for the complete DB2 Connect product installed on your client machine, you can just add a valid DB2 connect license file in the license folder of the IBM Data Server driver for ODBC and CLI (mentioned above) and connect to DB2 on iseries. You can find the license usage related info for connecting to i5 using the IBM Dataserver Driver for ODBC and CLI at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.luw.apdv.cli.doc/doc/r0024162.html

Steps to setup IBM Dataserver Driver for ODBC and CLI on Windows: -

1) Download the client from the link mentioned above.

2) Unzip the archive and place it in some directory. say "c:\db2_cli_odbc_driver".

3) Set the following environment variables as below: -

set DB2_CLI_DRIVER_INSTALL_PATH=c:\db2_cli_odbc_driver\clidriver
set LIBPATH=c:\db2_cli_odbc_driver\clidriver\lib
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=c:\db2_cli_odbc_driver\clidriver\lib

With this your client environment is setup and you can connect to DB2 server on any other machine.

Let me know if you require more info.

Thanks

Praveen